NOTE: Due to the covid-19 pandemic, our tutoring services are now offered in a virtual setting. Contact us for more information.
Tutoring is one of the numerous ways OMSE fulfills its purpose of giving students the opportunity to excel academically at the University of Maryland. We have offered tutoring services since our start in the 1970s. The tutorial program serves approximately 850 – 1000 students annually. We are an officially accredited program of the National Tutoring Association.
Tutoring in OMSE is a free, walk-in tutorial program that covers most key courses in Writing, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, and Economics, among other courses. Individual and small group tutoring consisting of 2-4 students per group is available each semester in most undergraduate courses. Stop by or call today to see if help is available in your course. Our program covers most key courses in Writing, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, and Economics, among other courses. Individual and small group tutoring consisting of 2 – 4 students per group is available each semester in most undergraduate courses. Stop by or call today to see if help is available in your course.
Tutor Talk Video Series
Check out OMSE’s Tutor Talk videos for informative, on-demand videos that covers everything from the Calculus to Supply & Demand! Stay tuned for more videos!
Meeting with a Tutor
Start meeting with a tutor early! Although students can meet with a tutor at any time in the semester, tutoring is most effective if you begin early. Don’t wait until you develop significant problems!
- Tutoring is offered free of charge for currently registered students and it is available for most introductory courses. This is a virtual drop-in tutoring service. To find out if there is tutoring in a course, just review our Tutoring Schedule attached below. Note that the Tutoring Schedule is updated regularly, so make sure you check this link frequently to verify that you have the correct schedule for that day.
- Tutor availability is NOT guaranteed. We encourage you to call 301-405-5616 if you need to-the-minute details. During the tutoring session there may be one or more students with you.
- Please complete and submit an online Tutoring Intake Form prior to your first visit.
- If you do not see a course that you need, please fill out the Unlisted Course Request Form.
Weekly Review Sessions are being held from weekly throughout the semester. You can find the schedule above.
Preparing for your tutoring session:
- Read the Guidelines for Tutoring Sessions on this page in the Attachments section.
- Read the Study Lab Etiquette on this page in the Attachments section.
- As a tutee, we always suggest that you bring your class materials such as your textbook, exams, or review materials for your class. If necessary, feel free to bring your laptop. We also have a computer lab on site with a printer.
Become A Tutor
OMSE tutors support the mission of the office by providing tutorial services to multiethnic undergraduate students in various academic disciplines. Tutors, hired for both their knowledge and ability to communicate, work with students to identify problem areas and misconceptions about the course material, provide frequent feedback, and work towards creating self-motivated, independent students.
The position is designed to enable tutees to better comprehend lower level required courses and to support the successful academic development of program participants. Tutors serve as OMSE ambassadors, and demonstrate academic proficiency in their respective areas of tutoring. Training workshops are held during the semester to prepare you for tutoring situations, and to gain valuable transferable skills that will help you in other aspects of your personal and professional life.
- Earned a grade of A in course(s) wanting to tutor and took the course(s) at The University of Maryland, College Park
- Must have at least a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must be an enrolled UMD undergraduate or graduate student
Job descriptions (see below):
- Tutor job description
- Lab Monitor job description
- Graduate Team Leader job description
- Tutoring Hours and Location
Fall & Spring Semesters
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday: 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday and Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Break schedules vary.
1101 Hornbake Library
College Park, MD 20742
CONTACT: Miriam Osborne-Elliott, Assistant Director for Academic Outreach
Contact us to see if additional tutoring hours or study sessions may be available.