The OMSE Academic Excellence Society or OAES was initiated and founded by Dr. Christopher Lester, Director of OMSE at the University of Maryland, in the spring of 2008 and was then endorsed by the OMSE team, Dr. Cordell Black, Associate Provost for Equity and Diversity, Dr. Nariman Farvardin, Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, and Dr. Javaune Adams-Gaston, Executive Director, University Career Center.
The purposes of the Honor Society according to the constitution are:
- To recognize, foster, and reward academic excellence.
- To promote and encourage leadership with the highest ideals of integrity, honesty, service, and exemplary ethical standards.
- To promote and encourage stellar career and professional development and opportunities among OAES members
- To promote and encourage intellectual, academic and study abroad scholar opportunities among OAES members
- To establish and maintain close relationships and mutual understanding between faculty, staff and students
- To foster an awareness of community service as a crucial resource to developing a more just, compassionate, and empowering society.
- The membership in OAES is composed of undergraduate multi-ethnic students who have achieved a high level of academic excellence.
To be eligible for membership students must have completed 30 semester hours in undergraduate credit courses; have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5; and be currently enrolled as a full-time student in good standing with the University of Maryland.
Justin Fox, President
Sharon Zhang, Vice President of Finance
Gaeun Angelina Son, Vice President of Administrative Affairs
Yulia Lim, Vice President of Academic Support
Jillian Wimbush, Vice President of Marketing and Technology
Yury Franco, Vice President of Public Service
Rebeka Ewusie, Vice President of Public Relations
CONTACT: Nhaya Vaidya, Graduate Assistant