The goal of the OMSE Check-Up is to empower diverse students by developing personalized approaches to their personal and academic lives during one-on-one holistic coaching sessions with an OMSE staff member. The resulting impact is an increase in student engagement, academic achievement, retention and graduation and a stronger connection to the University of Maryland campus community.
During each virtual session, a staff members will:
- Develop a plan for success: Students and staff members meet as often as needed to set academic, personal, and professional goals with an emphasis on connecting students to the University of Maryland and establishing a solid foundation students can build upon in the years to come.
- Serve as a liaison between students and the University of Maryland: Staff members refer students to appropriate campus resources, groups, and activities based on their individual needs.
- Offer support: Staff members provide a friendly, supportive environment and address students’ individual needs by examining learning styles, work habits, identities, goals and current difficulties in order to help them to overcome any barriers to success.
1. Virtual check-ups are conducted via Zoom. Students must use their University of Maryland Zoom accounts. Private Zoom accounts are not accepted.
2. Virtual advising relies on a secure, quality wifi connection. Please ensure that you have a good connection prior to your check-up.
3. Conduct your meeting in a place that is quiet and free of distraction to help make the meeting as efficient and productive as possible.
4. Driving during a check-up is prohibited.
5. If you are in a public setting, you are responsible for the information communicated in your meeting. We highly recommend that you wear headphones to ensure that others surrounding you are not privy to any personal information that may be discussed.
6. Please be prepared for your meeting. This includes having a pen and paper ready to take notes, preparing questions or topics you want to cover, and gathering any other planning tools necessary.